After working out at the gym or going for a run, your muscles may feel sore sometimes. You can do various things to relieve the discomfort, and foam rolling is one of them. The fitness market has a wide range of foam rollers but here are my picks for the best foam rollers on the market.
What does Foam Rolling do?
Foam rolling allows you to massage yourself using a device called a foam roller. The activity relieves tight muscles. It involves applying pressure on the trigger point to ease tightness in the area.
Manufacturers offer various foam rollers to alleviate discomfort on affected body parts, including calves, shoulders, back, and quads. Some foam rollers have a vibration mechanism that enhances performance on stiff muscles.
The Benefits of a Foam Roller
Foam rolling offers multiple benefits for your entire body. For instance, it enhances your range of motion by relieving muscle stiffness. Besides, it boosts your flexibility and endurance as you shift positions and hold for a few seconds.
That is not all. The activity also increases blood circulation to prepare you for workouts. Foam rolling can help relieve tension in the back and supports recovery after injuries.
In my opinion, a foam roller is a great addition to support weight training in your home gym.
This article may contain affiliate or compensated links. For full information on our affiliate policy, please read our disclaimer here.
Foam Rollers Review
|Best High-Recovery Vibrating Foam Roller
|NextRoller Foam Roller
|Best Electric Back Massager
|TrigerPoint Original 13-inch Roller
|Best Hollow Core Roller
|ProsouceFit Half-Round Roller
|Best Half-Round Foam Roller
|AmazonBasics Foam Roller
|Best Foam Roller for Sciatica
|OPTP Axis Roller
|Best Firm Density Foam Roller
|Gaiam Restore Foam Roller
|Best Medium Density Foam Roller
1. Best High-Recovery Vibrating Foam Roller – Hyperice Vyper
Hyperice boasts of being the go-to foam roller for famous athletes, including Lebron James and Blake Griffin. It combines both pressure and vibration to provide you with enhanced relief for pains and sore muscles. It has three vibration levels for you to choose from – 45, 68, and 92Hz.
The product has 16 small ridges on its rugged exterior, making it an excellent foam roller for the back. It also ensures the relief you feel reaches more in-depth into the muscle tissues.
- Professional quality with powerful vibration
- Features digital controls for vibration intensity
- The exterior material ensures maximum vibration is felt
- Durable and TSA-approved
- Vibrator charge lasts for long
- The lowest intensity setting can be powerful for some users
2. Best Electric Back Massager – NextRoller Foam Roller
Use NextRoller to assist you in reaching your fitness targets. This vibrating foam roller features three-speed vibration levels, which entail low, medium, and high. You can ease muscle soreness and pain in your hamstrings, quads, and back efficiently with these settings.
A full battery charge provides you with two hours of massage. The brand boasts of having featured on NBC, FOX, and CBS. It is suitable for everyone, including professional athletes and everyday users.
- Rechargeable and portable
- Has an ergonomic handle for easy carrying
- Incorporates a dynamic texture and firm density
- Simple to change vibration levels
- Utilizes a manual intensity knob
3. Best Hollow Core Roller – TrigerPoint Original 13-inch Roller
Available in bright, stunning colors, the original TriggerPoint foam roller consists of high-grade materials that stay intact with repeated use. It has a multi-density frame and a sturdy hollow core. It allows you to try various foam roller stretches.
With this product, you also get access to free online videos on foam rolling from experts. The 13-inch grid can carry a user weight of up to 500lbs.
- Has a long-lasting construction
- Offers superior performance
- A reliable tool among professionals and athletes
- Firm and comfortable
- Lightweight and small with softer ridges
- Does not incorporate the vibration mechanism
- The length can be a bit small and inconvenient for tall users
4. Best Half-Round Foam Roller – ProsouceFit Half-Round Roller
ProsourceFit offers a unique half-round roller. It provides firm support for core strengthening and spine stabilization. However, the model is available in 12, 18, and 36-inch sizes, and you can use more than one roller at a go. Besides using this product to relieve soreness, it helps in yoga, pilates, and squats. You can also use it to foam roll your calves before running.
If you’re new to foam roller exercises, start with the roller’s flat side and later shift to the rounded side for additional intensity.
- Has a textured surface for a non-slip grip
- Portable with convenient storage
- High-density and made of eco-friendly material
- Lightweight and easy to maintain
- Has a sturdy construction for durability
- May be painful at first for beginners
5. Best Foam Roller for Sciatica – AmazonBasics Foam Roller
AmazonBasics offers foam rollers in various colors and sizes. With the 12, 18, 24, and 36-inch lengths to choose from, you should find a size that suits your needs. This high-density foam roller is suitable and perfect for all body types.
It is firm and offers support for muscle recovery, massage, and exercise. Nonetheless, its high-density structure provides a deeper massage to help relieve the tightness and soreness in your muscles.
Use the model for balance, strengthening, and flexibility. Besides, it does not lose shape even with moderate and heavy use.
- Has an easy to clean exterior
- Lightweight yet firm
- High-density, compact, portable
- Superior quality but affordable
- The raised seams on the sides can be uncomfortable
6. Best Firm Density Foam Roller – OPTP Axis Roller
If you are looking for a long foam roller, the OPTP foam roller is one of them. It is available in a 36-inch length to help you deal with pain after workouts or a long day on your feet.
It is firm and high-density, so there is no need to worry about it losing shape. However, you can also get OPTP in smaller dimensions that are easier to carry around and a half-round design that offers stability.
- Cleaning requires soap and water only
- Firm and high-density
- Ideal for large muscle groups
- Works effectively on tough problem areas
- Suitable for moderate use; not heavy use
7. Best Medium Density Foam Roller – Gaiam Restore Foam Roller
With an 18-inch size, the Gaiam foam roller is an elegant product that comes in purple, green, and grey. The shade will look spectacular at the yoga studio gym. That aside, the item incorporates medium density for muscle stimulation.
The 18 inches provide adequate room for both arms and legs so that you can enjoy soothing muscle relief simultaneously. However, this brand includes a 15-minute digital guide to get you started if you are new to foam rolling. Use Gaiam to release tension and stiffness.
- Its 36-inch size provides more coverage and fosters balance
- Allows double leg and arm use for convenience
- Well-made and soft to ensure comfort
- Lightweight and efficient
- Breaks down faster unlike firm, high-density models
Foam rolling is a beneficial physical activity before and after workouts. It increases circulation as you warm up for exercise and later helps your muscles recover from stiffness and soreness.
Finding the right foam roller for you can be challenging, especially when there are many to choose from.
With the above review of the best foam rollers, you should find one that best matches your needs. While some brands include vibration functionality, others do not. All models have their pros and cons but will provide you with the relief you need.
Depending on your skill level, you can buy a medium density, high-density, or multiple-density foam roller.
Product Images Sourced From Amazon.com
About the Author: Jane Hart
Working crazy hours in a high-stress work environment resulted in my body one day telling me, “Enough is enough!”
Navigating this serious health journey was both mentally and physically exhausting. But through some serious mindset work and instilling healthy habits, I was able to rebuild my life one day at a time and come out stronger on the other side!
Now my mission is to empower women like me to prioritize their fitness and well-being in a healthy, sustainable way and build a community of strong, happy and healthy women!