If you wish to begin weight training, purchasing a weight bench would be excellent equipment to get your hands on and you’ll learn all you need to know in this best weight benches review. It is versatile equipment using which you can focus on developing various muscles without causing any injury. Whether you are a heavy lifter or a novice, using a weight bench will show a marked difference in your pecs. The weight benches fix a proper workout posture, avoiding the chances of stress and injury. Overall, the body gains more stability while standing.
|Gold Gym XRS 20
|Weider Pro 55 L
Here’s an extensive guide on weight benches, how to use one, and reviews of the highly rated and best weight bench available in the market.
Types of Weight Benches
Olympic Weight Bench – Gold Gym XRS 20 and Marcy MD-857
These benches are suitable for both, home and gym environments. They come with a built-in racking system present at the rear end of the machine. The weight bench comes with a fixed angle, which could be inclined, declined, or flat. The least amount of maintenance is required and has the fewest movable parts. It is huge and roomy.
Adjustable Weight Bench – Bowflex 5.1 and CAP Barbell
Adjustable weight benches could have two possible adjustment mechanisms: pop-pin or step adjustment. These benches are not suitable for heavy lifting; however, they do come with wheels and handle for increased portability. They offer preset angles which you can set as per your workout requirements.
Folding Weight Bench – Weider Pro 55 L
As the name suggests, folding weight benches have the ability to fold and become collapsible weight bench. They are perfect if you have a space crunch and do not have much room to store the weight bench. These benches are often adjustable, offering an array of exercise options.
Flat Weight Bench – Amazon
Flat weight benches are the simplest of weight benches that enjoy a great amount of popularity. It is reliable since it does not involve any hinges or movable parts that could give away during your workout. These benches come with fixed angles and height. The height of flat weight benches is lower than regular benches.
Preacher Curl Weight Bench – Body Champ
Preacher curl weight benches are usually used to gain and develop mass and muscles around the arm. If your regime targets biceps, especially the muscular lower biceps, you should make use of a preacher curl weight bench.
Abdominal Weight Bench – Perlecare
If you wish to have ripped abs, then the abdominal weight benches will come to your rescue. These are mostly declining angles. Working out on the abdominal weight bench is not only for strengthening lower abdomen muscles, but you can also work on your other core muscles.
Workouts on Weight Bench
Working out on a weight bench involves a mix of bodyweight training, power training, free weight workouts, and cable exercise. Weight bench sets are quite versatile as they allow you to carry out multiple tasks targeting various muscles. Here’s a list of essential activities and how you can carry them out:
Lay on your back against the weight bench. Arch your back and keep your feet on the ground. Then hold the dumbbells in your hand and stretch out your arms vertically. Lower the dumbbells back to their position.
Place your knee on the weight bench. Keep your body steady and lift the hand holding the dumbbells. Pull up your elbow for as far as you can.
Hold the weighted bar in a pronated grip, gently lift the bar above your forehead. Make sure not to lock your elbows.
Sit down on the equipment while keeping your legs and feet apart. Hold the dumbbell firmly in one hand and curl your muscles to concentrate on your biceps. Repeat the same on the other end.
Synchronize these workouts with your breathing patterns to gain the most from these exercises without tiring out your body.
Best Weight Benches Reviews
The Gold’s Gym Weight Bench with Squat Rack is an adjustable weight bench that comes with the accessories of the leg development attachment, curl pad, squats rack, and safety bars to use during chest presses. In a nutshell, it gives a complete workout for the entire body. Ideal for using at the gym or for personal use at home, it can give a complete workout to your lower back, core, and arms. The squat rack is designed for Olympic 7’ bars and is the best Olympic weight bench.
- The entire equipment has a sturdy build.
- Leg attachment and preacher pads allow the user to work on various muscles.
- A little maintenance is required and is easy to assemble.
- It does not come with weight bench sets; purchasing barbell sets can be quite expensive.
- It is designed for a single decline position, which may not be steep or declined enough.
If you are a big fan of the Marcy Pro weight bench cage home gym series, then you will surely like the Marcy Olympic Weight Bench. It has a range of adjustable features and is a sturdy piece for working out your lower and upper body. It takes a while to assemble; however, the wait is worth it due to its versatility. The detachable preacher curl in the front end helps with the upper body workout, and the walk-in squat and the bench helps in strengthening the lower body.
- It possesses a high level of comfort due to the various adjustable settings. Even the rack supports different bar sizes.
- The storage rack is not only handy but also a practical addition, which makes the equipment quite popular.
- Even though the equipment is very sturdy, the seat tends to wobble a bit, which can be a safety hazard.
- It can take up over three hours to assemble, and once gathered then it would take up way too much room.
The Weider Pro Weight Bench is perfect for those who aim at intensive strength workouts. It has a range of degrees of incline and decline angles to aid most of your workouts. The leg lockdown keeps your leg and body stable when you work out. It is much lighter than most weight benches, thereby making it a good contender for the best travel weight bench.
- Can deliver a personalized workout and you can adjust the seat according to your exercise form, including the 90-degree angle.
- The weight bench comes with a helpful exercise chart that lays out the perfect workout using the equipment.
- Since the adjusting mechanism makes use of a locking pin, it can be dangerous if care is not taken correctly.
- The pads under the knees are too thin, making them uncomfortable.
The Bowflex Select Tech is the best home weight bench. The 5.1 version is an upgrade of 3.1, offering excellent stability. It is a utility weight bench that can adapt to almost all back support positions. With excellent padding and a solid steel frame, you can carry out a large variety of motion exercises using the Bowflex weight bench. It is affordable and moderately priced.
- With a -17 degree decline, it is a valuable asset for those looking for the best weight bench for decline crunches.
- It takes less than just 20 minutes to assemble.
- Ideal for all users who usually have problems adjusting to seats.
- In the flat position, the wedge between the two seats and the backrest can be inconvenient.
- While the length accommodates tall people, it is not very comfortable for short people.
If you are a beginner setting out on your weight training journey, this CAP Barbell bench is an excellent place to start. It is compact equipment, making storage easy.
- The plywood backrest aids multi-position exercises for chest presses.
- It is compact, easy to store, making it the best home weight bench.
- It can be risky for heavily built users since the seat begins wobbling, which can be a problem.
Conclusion: Best Weight Benches Review
So that’s all about the best weight bench equipment currently available. If you are a beginner, who is starting to work out on a weight bench, settle for the CAP Barbell FMS-CS100 Standard Bench model. The free weight bench sets put it in a position of an advantage since you do not have to look for a weight bench set for sale. However, if you have been working out for a while and wish to continue the same, you may pick any between Gold’s Gym XRS 20 Olympic Workout Bench with Squat Rack or Marcy Olympic Weight Bench for Full Body Workout MD-857 for a premium experience.
Product Images Sourced From Amazon.com
About the Author: Jane Hart
Working crazy hours in a high-stress work environment resulted in my body one day telling me, “Enough is enough!”
Navigating this serious health journey was both mentally and physically exhausting. But through some serious mindset work and instilling healthy habits, I was able to rebuild my life one day at a time and come out stronger on the other side!
Now my mission is to empower women like me to prioritize their fitness and well-being in a healthy, sustainable way and build a community of strong, happy and healthy women!