Beginner, intermediate, and advanced yogis will all always give this advice. “Never go wrong in the choice of your yoga mat.” That is pure truth.
The type and quality of the yoga mat you choose will affect your yoga practice in different ways. Most importantly, you would want a mat that can sustain your yoga poses. It feels awkward to spend tens of dollars on a mat only to keep slipping off.
I compiled this buying guide to help you select the best yoga mat. I know how overwhelming it is to surf through the thousands of mats Amazon presents you with.
This article may contain affiliate advertising program links to earn advertising fees. For full information on llc associates programs, please see our disclaimer here.
Review of Yoga Mats
|Manduka PRO Yoga Mat||Heavy- Duty Yoga Mat|
|Jade Travel Yoga Mat||Travel Yoga Mat|
|Gaiam Yoga Mat||Best Value Yoga Mat|
|Gaiam Premium Print Yoga Mat||Best Design Yoga Mat|
|Crown Sporting Goods Yoga Mat||Thickest Yoga Mat|
|Gaiam Kids Yoga Mat||Yoga Mat For Kids|
|Liforme Original Yoga Mat||Best Overall Yoga Mat|
|Jade Harmony Yoga Mat||Best Dry Traction|
|Clever Yoga Non-Slip Mat||Beginners Yoga Mat|
|Gaiam Travel Yoga Mat||Portable Yoga Mat|
|Gorilla Premium Extra Large Yoga Mat||Yoga Mat For Home Workout|
|Hugger Mugger Earth Elements Yoga Mat||Best All-Round Yoga Mat|
1. Best Heavy-Duty Yoga Mat – Manduka PRO Yoga Mat
With 6mm thickness, the Manduka Pro yoga mat offers excellent knee support. Your bones won’t get grinding on that concrete floor or hard ground.
It is essential to keep yourself from injury as you do yoga. That’s the reason you need a heavy-duty yoga mat. With the Manduka Pro, you can maintain poses for a longer time.
- Manufactured with eco-certified safe PVC
- Very durable
- Dot pattern bottom that resists sliding
- High-density cushion for joint protection
- Can be used on any surface – carpet, cement, wooden floors
- Weird waxy feel on the top
2. Best Travel Yoga Mat – Jade Travel Yoga Mat
Perhaps you are a nomadic yogi, always changing your yoga location. The healing power of yoga in nature cannot be overstated. Therefore, it is common to move from place to place in search of the most serene environment.
What you need for outdoor yoga is a mat that you can carry with ease. That means it should be lightweight, foldable, and packable. The Jade Travel yoga mat best fits this description.
- Easily folds up
- High-quality feel
- Excellent support with 3.2 mm thickness
- Promotes sustainability as manufacturer plants one tree for every piece sold
- The open-cell design may collect dust
3. Best Value Yoga Mat – Gaiam Yoga Mat
You may be just starting on yoga. As usual, you may not be willing to splash so much cash on a mat. That is human.
The Gaiam yoga mat is favorably priced for entry-level yogis. What’s more, it comes in a stylish reversible design. That means you get two fashionable colors for the price of one.
- Much lighter
- Perfect for people with allergies, being it latex-free
- Versatile reversible design
- Comes with free yoga workout lessons
- Easy on the joints
- Reduced grip on the floor
4. Best Design Yoga Mat – Gaiam Premium Print Yoga Mat
We have so far looked at solid color yoga mats. These serve their purpose well. But there comes a time you feel like adding color and pattern to your hobby.
Spice up your Iyengar with the Gaiam Premium Print yoga mats. You won’t fall short of choices as there are dozens of prints to choose from. And it’s not just the color – your joints will greatly enjoy the 6mm cushioning.
- Over 24 designs to choose from
- 6 mm thickness significantly protects joints
- Adequate non-slip surface
- Noticeable smell when unpacking for the first time
5. Thickest Yoga Mat – Crown Sporting Goods Yoga Mat
With 16 mm thickness, no other mat in our list exceeds this. But you may ask, what is all this hype about thickness?
As much as yoga is meant for relaxation and stress relief, it comes with the risk of injury. You may suffer injuries on the neck, hips, wrist, shoulder, elbow, lower back, knee, and hamstring.
Your savior is a mat with high-density foam that considerably absorbs shock. Go for the Crown Sporting yoga mat.
- Designed with horizontal ridges to prevent you from slipping
- Comes with a carrying handle for hassle-free travel
- Best option for pre-existing injuries
- Some yoga poses are not possible with such a thick mat – e.g., crow, tree, chair
6. Best Yoga Mat For Kids – Gaiam Kids Yoga Mat
Kids need yoga sessions too. The benefits they derive from yoga are similar to what you experience too. Make it more interesting to them by buying the Gaiam kids yoga mat.
The mat is essentially tailored to make the kids comfortable and safe. The grippy surface ensures your kid does not accidentally slip while doing some challenging poses.
- More portable than other standard yoga mats
- Colorful patterns that kids relate to
- Easy to clean
- Rubber smell may persist for some days after unpacking
7. Best Overall Yoga Mat – Liforme Original Yoga Mat
I particularly like the alignment markers on this mat. Not that I’m a novice. I just enjoy the fact that there are clear visual guides to help me align my body.
Additionally, the Liforme yoga mat offers unequaled grips for the hands and feet. The underside likewise stays fixed in position as you change poses.
- Perfect grip even when sweating a lot
- Truly bio-degradable
- No nasty toxic substances
- Good for hot yoga
- No need for an extra yoga towel
- None found yet
8. Best Dry Traction – Jade Harmony Yoga Mat
This mat by Jade Yoga features a slightly ridged surface that makes your palms and feet stick. Grip it firmly, and you are sure your hands won’t move a bit.
In addition to that, the mat generously gives you all the comfort and support you need. Be it a bow pose, a headstand, a cow stretch, or a cat stretch; you won’t go wrong.
- Superb wet and dry traction
- Easy on your joints
- Made of natural rubber which is more environmentally friendly than synthetic rubbers
- Sticky surface likely to collect lots of dirt
9. Ultimate Beginners Yoga Mat – Clever Yoga Non-Slip Mat
Getting started with yoga doesn’t have to feel complicated and costly. Grab yourself the quality with this low-cost Clever Yoga mat and your journey to increased flexibility.
The cushioning is just enough to protect and support your joints. The mat will do you good if you don’t sweat a lot. If you are the sweaty type or hot yoga enthusiast, don’t forget to purchase a yoga towel set.
- Adequately thick for increased stability
- Reversible non-slip surfaces increase their versatility
- Not suitable for hot yoga
10. Most Portable Yoga Mat – Gaiam Travel Yoga Mat
Traveling with your yoga mat should never feel burdensome. Ideally, it should be both lightweight and packable.
I wonder what other carpet fits this description better than the Gaiam travel mat. It weighs only 1.8 pounds and is easily foldable
Most importantly, it comes in a variety of colorful designs that complement your personality. I wouldn’t want to think of a high-class business lady rolling out a dull yoga mat in the hotel lobby.
- Folds into a 12” by 10” compact square
- Easily fits in a carry-on bag
- Classy designs that match your class
- May retain creases if folded too tightly for a long time
11. Best Yoga Mat For Home Workout – Gorilla Premium Extra Large Yoga Mats
Millions of citizens are taking yoga sessions to their home studios or gyms. To join this crew, you need the Gorilla Extra large Mat.
The large surface gives you more than enough room to perform all the yoga poses and exercises you ever wished to. This particular one measures 9 ft long by 6 ft wide, with a thickness of 8 mm.
- Larger surface than most other mats
- Available in even bigger sizes
- Top-quality, professional-grade materials
- Soft, non-slip unique circle pattern
- Comes with a good quality microfiber towel
- Very heavy
12. Best All-Round Yoga Mat – Hugger Mugger Earth Elements 5mm Yoga Mat
Get this excellent mat by Hugger Mugger if you want to practice all aspects of yoga.
Whether you are into hot or regular yoga, you got covered. Ashtanga, Hatha, Iyengar, Kundalini, Vinyasa, or power yoga as well.
- Very lightweight – only 2 pounds
- Made with non-toxic thermal plastic elastomer (TPE) foam
- Patterned surfaced for added traction
- The closed-cell design makes it easy to clean as it doesn’t absorb fluids
- Excellent grip and cushioning
- Rubbery texture that tends to stretch under heavy persons
I hope this yoga mat review has been of great benefit to you. In a nutshell, when buying a yoga mat, you need to consider the following main features:
- Quality of grip
A properly selected yoga mat will further enhance the yoga experience. You need to feel the healing in your mind and body. Injuries are the last thing you would wish for in a yoga session.
It’s now up to you to purchase the yoga mat that fits your needs and budget.
Product Images Sourced From Amazon.com