Ever wanted to lose those extra kilos but don’t want to spend money on a gym subscription? Jump rope benefits include not only rapid calorie burning but they’re a very budget friendly addition to a home gym.
Skipping allows you to lose weight while having fun. Not just for kids, they’re equally useful for adults as well. It doesn’t matter if you’re an amateur or an expert, a jump rope is for everyone.
Another benefit of jump rope is that you’ll understand your body better by fixing your balance and strengthening your core muscles. You won’t require a trainer to tell you how to use a jump rope. This portable tool has so much to offer; using it for just 5-10 mins is equivalent to a 30-minute jog. It not only tones your leg muscles but also improves overall physique.
People underestimate the cardio benefits of a jump rope, but for a full comparison of other cardio machines, check out which cardio machines is right for you here.
Jump Rope Workouts
- Double Leg Jumps – These are basic jumps you can do with your jump rope. Hopping continuously on your legs helps to strengthen your calves and improves your coordination.
- Single-Leg Jumps – Single leg jumps help intensify the workout more by isolating one leg. If you’re thinking of spicing up your exercise, then try this out.
- Boxer Jumps – The favorite amongst boxers, this cardio exercise requires shifting weight from one foot-to-another. There are tons of benefits like improved foot-work, increased stamina, and controlled breathing.
- Criss-Cross Jumps – The criss-cross jumps are for intermediates and experts. It requires you to use your wrist and make an 8 in the air, crossing both your arms simultaneously. It sounds a bit tough, but with practice, it gets easier.
- Backward Jumps – This workout requires a little more practice to master. This exercise improves the mind to muscle coordination.
Jump Rope Benefits
Speaking of jump rope benefits, the jump rope has many. This simple-looking tool can work wonders. Jump rope improves cardiovascular health by increasing the heart rate up to 3 times than any other exercise.
It also burns around 20 calories per minute, builds stamina and increases lung capacity. Jump rope is also good for your metabolism. Incorporating regular jump rope exercises with a healthy diet will help you shed those extra pounds.
The jump rope will not only help you achieve that dream body but also improve your mental health. Practicing jump rope exercises improves coordination and mental alertness. Jump rope develops the left and right hemispheres of the brain in kids, enhancing their performance in school and life.
Full Body Workout
If you’re looking for a full body workout then look no further than the benefits of jump rope. Legs, arms and core are targeted in this muscle strengthening exercise.
Muscles that jump rope works:
- Lower body muscles: hamstrings, quads, glutes and calves muscles
- Upper body muscles: biceps, triceps, chest, back and shoulders
- Core muscles: abs, obliques
Best of all, a jump rope or weighted jump rope doesn’t cost anywhere near as much as traditional cardio machines. Keep reading to learn about my top picks.
Did you know that two, 10min jump rope sessions can burn up to 200 calories! This is even more than a 20min run that burns on average 150-200 calories!
If you consider that a pound of fat is 3,500 calories, then it will take just 17 days to drop a pound. Built into a daily exercise routine along with a healthy diet, will set you well on your way towards your weight loss goals.
How Long Should a Jump Rope Be?
An ideal-sized jump rope for adults ranges anywhere from 12 feet to 20 feet, depending on the jumper performing the exercise. If you are unsure how long your jump rope should be, opt for a jump rope that’s adjustable.
After reading all of the wonderful jump rope benefits, I’m sure you’re now ready to buy a jump rope of your own. Below I’ve shortlisted the best options for you.
Jump Ropes Review
|Weighted Jump Rope by Pulse
|Weighted Jump Rope
|Best Weighted Jump Rope
|WOD Nation Speed Jump Rope
|Speed Jump Rope
|Best Speed Jump Rope
|Master of Muscle Jump Rope
|Adjustable Jump Rope
|Best Adjustable Jump Rope
|Crossrope Get Lean
|Durable Jump Rope
|Best Versatile Jump Rope
|Buddy Lee Rope Master Jump Rope
|Jump Rope For Beginners
|Best Jump Rope For Beginners
|EliteSRS Thick Beaded Fitness Jump Rope
|Beaded Jump Rope
|Best Beaded Jump Rope
|Everlast Evergrip Weighted Jump Rope
|Plastic Jump Rope
|Best Plastic Jump Rope
|Golden Stallion Premium Jump Rope
|Wooden Jump Rope
|Best Classic Jump Rope
1. Best Weighted Jump Rope – Weighted Jump Rope by Pulse
This product tops our list because of its uniqueness. This product not only works on the calf muscles and thigh muscles but also strengthens your forearms and wrists.
Use this jump rope for regular cardio, skipping, cross-fit, or endurance training,.
- Adjustable size
- Weighted and non-weighted options available
- Foam handles prevent sweaty palms
- Tangle-free, 6 mm high-quality rope
- Ball-bearing in each handle allows easy spinning without any twisting
- Is susceptible to tangling
2. Best Speed Jump Rope – WOD Nation Speed Jump Rope
If you have plenty of energy or like to skip fast, then this sleek jump rope is for you. Due to the thin, lightweight rope, this product creates a fast but stable swing. The cable of this jump rope is lightweight, which helps to train for Boxing, Martial Arts or MMA.
- Light build quality
- Nylon covered coated steel cable
- Handles made of nylon resin
- Includes a spare cable
- Comes with a carry bag
- Should only be used on smooth surfaces as hard surfaces may damage the coating on the cable.
3. Best Adjustable Jump Rope – Master of Muscle Jump Rope
Athletes prefer this jump rope. You can perform workouts like cross-fit exercises and speed training. An ideal jump rope should be 12 feet, and this product is adjustable, so you needn’t worry about size issues.
- Wire made of thermoplastic polyurethane
- Rotates at 90 degrees
- Additional rope and parts included
- Extreme lightweight
- Can fit anywhere, portable
- Adjustable length
- May get damaged if used on rough surfaces
4. Best Versatile Jump Rope – Crossrope Get Lean
Are you looking for something different? This product has a lot to offer. Unlike other jump ropes, this product provides a fast-clip connection system that lets you switch between light mode and weighted mode.
- This product offers two types of rope – the grey is lightweight while the black is for weighted exercise
- Sleek handles
- The sellers offer a workout app for free along with the Crossrope
- Comes in 4 different sizes
5. Best Jump Rope For Beginners – Buddy Lee Rope Master Jump Rope
This jump rope is most useful for beginners due to its simple nature. This rope would be a perfect tool for novices and beginners.
- Handles are of 9 inches
- It has a swivel bearing system
- Aerodynamic built
- Extra care needed for the handles
6. Best Beaded Jump Rope – EliteSRS Thick Beaded Fitness Jump Rope
If you’re looking for a weighted jump rope with beads, then this is the best product is for you. The beads provide added resistance and weight, giving you the opportunity to burn more calories and build more strength during a workout.
- Size adjustable
- Durable handles
- Comfortable foam grip
- Extra weight adds resistance
- Beads can wear out on harsh surfaces
7. Best Plastic Jump Rope – Everlast Evergrip Weighted Jump Rope
This versatile jump rope has multiple features. Removable weights can be taken off depending on your workout intention. So whether you are wanting a weighted rope or speed rope, this jump rope covers all the bases.
- Adjustable rope
- Handles come with added grip
- Removable weights
- Ball-bearing for easy rotation and speed
- The rope is made of plastic so can damage on rough surfaces
8. Best Classic Jump Rope – Golden Stallion Premium Jump Rope
What does a classic jump rope look like? This is it. If you’re wanting to relive your youth then this is the jump rope for you. Made of premium quality leather and wood, this product looks great and is very durable.
- The leather rope can be shortened
- Premium quality wood handles and genuine leather is used
- Highly durable
- Special care needs to be taken while shortening the leather rope
- Limited features compared to modern jump ropes
Now we know the jump rope is designed to be one of the most effective pieces of cardio equipment available, and best of all, it won’t break the bank!
Be it cross-fit training, endurance training, strength training, or simple cardio for heart health, the benefits of jump rope will keep you on track to achieving your goals.
Product Images Sourced From Amazon.com
About the Author: Jane Hart
Working crazy hours in a high-stress work environment resulted in my body one day telling me, “Enough is enough!”
Navigating this serious health journey was both mentally and physically exhausting. But through some serious mindset work and instilling healthy habits, I was able to rebuild my life one day at a time and come out stronger on the other side!
Now my mission is to empower women like me to prioritize their fitness and well-being in a healthy, sustainable way and build a community of strong, happy and healthy women!